Friday, January 14, 2011

My Review of M's Alibi Jacket!"

Originally submitted at Outdoor Research

A monster of a jacket, the rugged Alibi Jacket is a combination of different materials conscientiously designed in all the right places. Tough, weatherproof fabric is used on the hood and shoulders where the elements hit the hardest, a warm soft shell lower body holds in core warm...


For Ice, so nice!

By medwards from Ontario, Canada on 1/14/2011

 

4out of 5

Fit: Feels true to size

Sleeve Length: Feels true to length

Chest Size: Feels true to size

Pros: Breathable, Versatile, Very easy to move in, Comfortable, Fit is outstanding

Cons: Trade-offs, Hood fit

Best Uses: Hiking and Camping, Cycling, Casual Wear, Ice Climbing

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

Was this a gift?: No

Let me preface with the note that I bought this jacket on pro-deal. However, that definitely does not skew my opinion on it.

This has become my go-to jacket for literally almost everything, to the point that I'm worried I will wear it out faster than I want to. Everything about it is pretty much perfect. The fit is outstanding (41" chest and 31" waist - still able to get a thin primaloft layer underneath but not bulky at all when worn alone) and the details are well-thought out and well executed.

The length is great - in the arms it is just long enough so as not to expose my wrists when I reach up with a tool or I'm bent over on the bike. In the body, it's just long enough to stay put under a harness but not so long that it looks like a trenchcoat.

The fabric zoning is also great - everything where it needs to be keeps you comfortable and dry. One note about this though, the breathable softshell on the back- and underarm-panels is not especially wind resistant. if a still breeze comes from the front you'll feel it on the front of your shoulders. I made the mistake a couple times of turning my back to the wind at the base of a climb and got a quick chill. That said, the trade-off is tiny compared to the breathability and comfort you get while moving.

I have never overheated in this jacket and I've never been too cold - it has a fantastic marriage of breathability and weather resistance.

I've been using it as a cycling jacket for my morning commute, and have recommended it to co-workers and friends for that purpose as well. the wrist gaiters and thumb holes ensure your arms don't get chilled and the jacket has enough breathability to ensure you don't overheat! brilliant!

my only gripe is with the internal hood. it is relatively unstructured and because of this, i find the straight edges bother me. It will only stay on if it is under a helmet or a hat, and I found I lost a little peripheral vision as well. I wear glasses, and the hood definitely got in the way when I turned my head. Contouring the sides of the hood too have more of a balaclava-like shape would remedy all these problems.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment